I thought I'd get a bit more personal with this months first article by sharing a few things that I've learned in my life so far. These are just some gems that I feel apply to being a musician particularly well. So here goes...
1. Unfortunately, you really can't (and won't) please everyone, and trying to do so usually backfires.
2. If people can't accept you for who you are or don't want to be your friend, after you've made every effort to be theirs, then you're probably better off without them in your life.
3. Life can get a little crazy sometimes. So, if possible - try to take a little time to do the things that make you happy - even if it's only for a few minutes each day.
4. When in doubt, trust your gut and just go with it. Don't try change situations that you have absolutely no control over (so unless you're hurting yourself, others or animals in the process), just enjoy the moment. They're not going to last forever.
5. Develop a hard skin, but stay connected enough to remain empathetic. Successful people want to stay on top forever and might not give you the turn you may feel that you deserve. Likewise, often people on their own way up often feel threatened or self entitled to something that you're also working towards. Hurtful things can be said or done that might discourage you along your journey (you might even be the one to say or do it). Having a tough exterior can help - especially within the entertainment industry, just don't become cold and bitter, it's not worth it.
6. Be nice... Even if you think others have been completely inconsiderate towards you. It costs nothing and you never know who's help you might perhaps need one day.
7. Surround yourself with like minded people, who believe in you and help build you up. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve by doing this even if it means that you might have to hear the cold occasional truth about yourself every once in a while.
8. Stop complaining all the time. Negativity, breeds negativity, so cut it out.
9. Don't fake it - just make it... Yup it's true, you don't have to be a fake individual to survive in the music world. As mentioned earlier, you'll probably make a couple enemies by being yourself, but being true to yourself is worth its weight in gold so don't let anyone take that away from you.